Friday, October 25, 2013

What do you want to see in the next Mac OS X? (poll) - CNET

After reviewing Mac OS X Mavericks, I’m wondering what people are looking for in the next version of Mac OS X.

Jason Parker
by Jason Parker October 25, 2013 4:40 PM PDT

(Credit: CNET)

In my review, I thought Mac OS X Mavericks was a worthwhile update with a bunch of new features, new apps brought over from iOS, smarter interface elements, battery-saving technologies, and security improvements. Best of all? It’s free. To me, there isn’t any reason not to update.

But my review brought about another question: Where can Apple go from here? Aside from minor tweaks to smooth out the rough edges, what’s left to improve that we don’t already have? It’s a question that I’m sure the folks at Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Linux are hashing out over around big conference tables or comfortable couch setups right now. Certainly the hardware could change or there might be some other gesture-based computing paradigm shift like we saw Tom Cruise using in the famous scenes from “Minority Report,” but if we’re talking mice, desktops, or touch screens, I wonder just how much there is left to add that would make us exclaim, “That’s it! That’s what we’ve all been waiting for!”

So now I would like to put the question to you: What would you like to see in the next version of OS X? A few of us at CNET have come up with a number of possible feature additions Apple could introduce, but like I said before — I’m not sure there are many “magical” features left. If you have some big ideas (or small ones!) for the future of Mac OS X that aren’t listed here, please let us know in the comments so we can all discuss. If we’re lucky, maybe Apple will read this and get your changes in for the next version.


mac – Google News

No comments:

Post a Comment